Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Slime Cupcakes :]

Yesterday, I decided to make Red Velvet Cupcakes! Yum! So I'm making them, and the batter is tasting really yummy, and I go to put the red food coloring in. Uh-oh. We have no more red food coloring! So, unlike a sensible person who would just leave them normal chocolate, I decide to make Blue Velvet cupcakes. I go, humming, and put in a teaspoon of Blue Food Coloring. When I started mixing, it turned a horrible olive/blue/poo color. BLECH! But, nothing I can do about it, so I stick them in the oven, and they turn out looking crummy, but still tasting yummy. So I go to make a Buttercream frosting. We have no powdered sugar. So I look up this French Buttercream that takes normal sugar, but you have to dissolve it in oil in a saucepan, then pour that in with whipped eggs and butter and VOILA! Buttercream. It didn't work for me. I got this horrible egg mixture, that I fixed with a lot of brown sugar and flour. :] It tasted okay, though you can feel the sugar when you eat it. But I go, and I put green food coloring, and because of the brown sugar, I got a Vomity Lime Green! Plus, the frosting was slightly runny, and just dripped don my cupcake, like slime. They look disgusting, but taste good. I plan on making them for Halloween. :} Here is a delicious Red Velvet Cupcake recipe:
INGREDIENTS:
- 2 1/2 Cups flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1/2 cup Baking Cocoa
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Sticks of Butter at Room Temperature
- 5 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Buttermilk (See note at bottom)
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Teaspoon Red Food Coloring


Combine Salt, Flour, Cocoa, Baking powder, and Baking Soda in a large mixing bowl. Sift 3 times.

In a seperate bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add eggs one at a time, making sure to mix well after each one.

Add 1/4 of Dry ingredients to mixture, then 1/4 of buttermilk and so on. Mix Well. Then add vanilla and food coloring.

Fill lined cupcake holder 1/2 full of Red Velvet Batter. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for about 20 minutes, or until they're all the way cooked.

Wait to cool, then frost.

NOTE: If you don't have Buttermilk, try this subsitution: Add 1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice or White Vinegar (I didn't have either, so I used a combination of White Cooking Wine, and Red Vinegar and it worked great) to a cup, then fill the rest of the cup with milk. Let sit for 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment